Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Giving Tree: A story of heartache and betrayal

Shel Silverstein is a national treasure. There is no disputing that. When I was growing up his works were my Harry Potter, Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid all rolled into one. That being said, I have to admit that I have always hated The Giving Tree. Oh it starts off portraying a perfectly delightful scenario.

Once there was a tree…
And she loved a little boy.
And the boy loved the tree…very much.
And the tree was happy.

Can you feel it? The tug on your heartstrings? Well revel in it because after that bit, it all starts to go south for the tree. This kid hits puberty and slowly begins to chip away at this poor, selfless, enabling tree. This would be forgivable if the boy remained a boy, but he doesn’t. He grows into an annoying succubus that just takes and takes! “I want money. I want a house. I want a boat.”

I’m sorry, but that is just rude. Doesn’t this child have parents? What’s worse is that this story keeps telling the reader how happy the tree is. I am just feeling sorry for the tree at this point. The poor thing is in denial and needs to attend assertiveness training. Let’s get real. The boy strings the tree along page after page and basically kills her at the end of the story.

So what to do? Well I think it’s time that someone stood up for the tree.
Submitted for your approval:

The Giving Tree
Written by Shel Silverstein
Adapted by Gina Pavlov

Once there was a tree…
And she loved a little boy.
And every day the boy would come
And he would gather leaves,
And make them into crowns and play king of the forest.
He would climb up her trunk
And swing from her branches and eat apples.
And they would play hide and seek.
And when he was tired he would sleep in her shade.
And the boy loved the tree…very much.
And the tree was happy.

But time went by.
And the boy grew older.
And the tree was often left alone.

Then one day the boy came to the tree.
“Come and play in my shade and you will be happy.” said the tree.
“I’m too big to climb and play. I want to buy things and have fun. I want some money.
Can you give me some money?”
“I’m sorry to tell you this but money doesn’t grow on trees. Perhaps you should get a job. If you’re old enough to buy things, you’re old enough to work for them.”

The boy left a little wiser…
And the tree was happy.

The boy stayed away for a long time and the tree was sad.
And then one day he came back.
“Come and play in my shade and you will be happy.”
“I am too busy to climb trees. I want a house and a wife and children.
Can you give me a house?”
“Well I want to settle down next to a handsome redwood tree but you don’t hear me complaining do you? Save your money so you can buy a nice house for a wife and children.”

The boy left with another life lesson…
And the tree was happy.

The boy stayed away for a long time and the tree was sad.
And then one day he came back and the tree was so happy she could hardly speak.
“Come and play.” said the tree.
“I am too old and sad to play. I want a boat that will take me far away.
Can you give me a boat?”
“You should not run from your problems.
Go and do your best to live the best life you can.
And maybe you would not be so sad if you came to visit me more often.”

The boy left with a renewed sense of self…
And the tree was happy.

After a long time the boy came back.
“I’m sorry boy, I don’t know what else I could possibly give you.”
“I don’t need very much now, just a quiet place to sit. I am very tired.”
“Come and sit by me. I have a strong trunk to hold you up.
You can eat my apples and rest in my shade.”

And the boy did…
And the tree was happy.

2 comments:

  1. That's freakin awesome!! I LOVE it! Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must read the taking tree by shrill travesty lol. My husband does a lovely adaptation for the kids with a grape vine who gets torn apart lol!

    ReplyDelete